Mammoplasty also known as breast augmentation is a cosmetic surgery in which breast implants are implanted inside breasts to increase their size and shape. Mammoplasty can also be used to reconstruct breasts following a mastectomy. This is an operation that is performed on patients with breast cancer. The procedure used to be very expensive and was only available to the wealthy and famous a few years back. It is now more common and accessible to all women. They can have their breasts shaped and sized to their liking. This procedure involves creating breast pockets large enough to allow breast implants to fit into. The patient chooses the implant she wants from a variety of options that include different shapes, sizes and types. These are some of the reasons women opt for augmentation.
- Women undergo this procedure to improve their appearance. Women want breasts that are well-shaped and will enhance their beauty.
- Reconstruction is performed after a mastectomy, where one or both of the breasts have been removed. Breast cancer survivors may elect to have mammoplasty to reconstruct their breasts. Reconstruction allows the breasts to return to their original size and shape prior to the illness.
- Correction There are two types of women. One is those born with congenital disorders and the other has those born with asymmetrical breasts. Asymmetrical breasts have different sizes. They can lead to low self-esteem and embarrassment. This surgery will give the woman breasts that are equal in size, and help eliminate low self esteem and embarrassment.
- Breastfeeding and childbirth – Most women lose the shape of their breasts after giving birth. This happens due to sagging breasts and gradual loss of breast tissue. These women elect to have this surgery to increase the firmness and volume of their breasts.
- Weight loss – Women who have experienced a dramatic reduction in breast volume or body fat may opt to undergo mammoplasty to increase the size and shape of their breasts.
- Low self-esteem – Small breasts can make women unhappy. They may be ridiculed and teased about their breasts. This can make their lives miserable. That is why they choose to have the surgery. They experience a significant increase in self-esteem after having their breasts implanted. Many women believe that having breasts that are large makes them more attractive, which in turn increases their self-confidence.
It is important to find a qualified and reliable cosmetic surgeon to perform breast surgery. A qualified surgeon will make sure you are comfortable during, and after the procedure. For better results, it is important to follow the surgeon’s instructions.